Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I Got A Promotion!

I'm proud to announce that I was promoted to "Mentor Teacher" yesterday. What does this mean? Well...I'll tell you!
Last year I went through the process to become Nationally Certified in teaching art. It was very challenging, but when I got the results this November, I PASSED!!!
So, as a nationally certified teacher, I was approached by a friend of mine who is teaching "across the river" in Donaldsonville. She's got the title of "Master Teacher" over there. This school is a low performing school, with underprivilaged children. It's called the Intermediate School and is designed for students who are struggling academically. My friend said they were looking for Nationally Certified teachers to come be "mentors" to the other teachers over there to help guide them and support them in sort of raising the bar for these kids and making sure they are being taught as effectively as possible. I went through a rigorous interview process last week, and got the call yesterday letting me know that I got the position! I am so proud and excited. I'm very nervous, but I know I have a lot to offer these children and I look forward to doing all I can to make a difference in their lives. I can't wait to start researching and planning! The job is going to be quite a bit more challenging than where I am right now, but I'm looking forward to every minute of it! I've decided that life is about new experiences. If I just sat back and took it easy for the rest of my career, I'd die of boredom.
Oh, and one other thing...I'm getting a raise of about $13,500!!!!!! Can you believe that??? Well, you know that part doesn't hurt! Here's a picture of me when I dressed up as Frida Kahlo for my 3rd graders a few years ago. It's the only teacher picture I have on my computer to illustrate this post!

6 comments:

beki said...

Congratulations!

Bubbles said...

congratulations on the job, I hope you enjoy your experience in this school.

I also work in a school that failed an inspection after I got the job there and its been a pretty tough ride but hopefully it will be worth the effort in the end.

Good luck

ThePeachTree said...

WOOT!!! Congats to you!!

Katie L. said...

Congrats!!! That's quite the raise! :) I've mentored and tutored a few kids and absolutely loved it. Teaching is such a wonderful thing to do!

Heidi said...

huge congratulations!
you'll be like whoopi goldberg in the sister act film, boy did she turn things around hehe.
that pay rise is amazing.. buy yourself lots of treats! :D

amy said...

Oh my god, you are the COOLEST teacher in the world.

Great job on your promotion. How do you sleep at night with all that excitement? That is a huge promotion.

seriously, I laughed so hard when I saw the picture of you dressed as Frida, your kids will never forget that.